You are hereBellator Main Event: An in depth look at Lyman Good and Chris Lozano
Bellator Main Event: An in depth look at Lyman Good and Chris Lozano
(Photo Courtesy of Bellator.com)
This weekend Cleveland's fighting son Chris "The Assassin" Lozano is slated to take on his toughest test to date in former Bellator Champion Lyman Good on the newly acquired MTV2. Lyman had a seemingly unstoppable run until facing off against current champ and wrestling stand out Ben Askren. So for those of you who don't know much about Lyman Good let's take a look:
Obviously a 10-1 record is pretty remarkable, but what really matters is who are the 10 wins against and what about the lone loss? When breaking down the record you will find that 60% of his wins are against competition with a record of .500 or less with the other 40% coming against fighters with at least 3 additional losses. He has fought one undefeated fighter (Ben Askren) which is his only loss.
Lyman is a heavy handed kick boxer with 5 of his wins coming by way of KO/TKO,4 by decision, and 1 by Submission.
Lyman has the tendency to throw his punches wide and sometimes even from his hip while wading forward. He relies more on power and aggression than technique and set ups. Because this is billed as "Stand up" war after the jump we will take a look at Lyman's striking.
To continue please select read more:
If you notice in the video above, Lyman attacks and defends on a straight line using powerful hook and straight punch combinations to close distance. His defense is based on distance as well and prefers to fade straight back as opposed to out at an angle. In the video he even crosses his feet backing up (I'm a stickler for footwork).
In the striking department Chris is more dynamic using power shots combined with angles that are created by his ability to throw multiple techniques at once. If Chris can land first and keep creating new angles, Lyman will have big problems finding him. In boxing this is referred to as "Coming in one door and leaving out another" and is used specifically when fighting a fist first type of fighter.
Lyman literally needs Chris to stay in front of him long enough to hit him with something. If you notice in the clip above, Lyman muscles and batters his opponent until he is tired enough the ref knocks him over. This is his basic approach and is reconfirmed by his record. All of his KO/TKO's came within 2 rounds and if he doesn't get you out of there in 2, he doesn't carry the finishing skills over into the final rounds.
Chris has the pop and the techniques to keep Lyman off balance long enough to put him away late. Although it won't be easy, if Chris utilizes his sharp outside striking and can work his way through the traffic that is guaranteed to be there, I feel that Chris will win by TKO in the 3rd round.